I have to admit it to you. I LOVE SKYKOMISH!!
Skykomish is a sleepy small town located in the Mount Baker-Snoqualmie National Forest, near Deception Falls on the Skykomish River.
You enter the town off of Highway 2 across the Skykomish River via an old steel bridge. As you enter the main streets in Skykomish you will find the historic Skykomish Hotel on your left. Today this hotel sits empty and dilapidating with stands of mold through out the interior. What a shame.
The Skykomish Hotel was “for sale” and the Sky Valley Chronicle is reporting it has been sold to an out of state party.
As reported from www.forgottenusa.com.
“It’s the home of the blue lady. The story goes that on the very top floor of this place it use to be a speak easy where the lady’s of the night entertained and where gambling went on. One of the prostitutes had a new boyfriend. The boyfriend walked in on her as she was doing business with a John. He was so enraged. Forgetting what her line of business was he killed her.”
Definitely worth a peek inside the windows. Now that it is sold… better sooner rather than later on that peek in the windows.
Take a left as you come into town at the four-way stop and you will come upon the Whistling Post Tavern and Historic Cascadia Hotel and restaurant. Don’t worry about parking. There is ample space for everyone.
Be sure to stop into the Whistling Post Tavern. You will encounter a fun old style tavern that has been update recently due to a fire. And I must say… this post on the map cooks up the best fried chicken anywhere. Worth the trip just for the fried chicken!!
While you are at the Whistling Post Tavern you can catch a Seahawks game, Mariners game, or just engage in friendly chit chat with a local or skier passing through.
As a photographer this is a rich town. You have the option of photographing the Skykomish River, towns architecture, railroad cars, parked or moving trains, a brilliant sky, or unique Pacific Northwest landscape.
Bring your favorite DLSR camera… OR grab a new one!!
- Canon EOS 5D Mark III DSLR Camera (Body Only)
- Nikon D810 DSLR Camera (Body Only)
- Nikon D750 DSLR Camera with 24-120mm Lens
- Nikon D500 DSLR Camera (Body Only)
- Canon EOS 7D Mark II DSLR Camera (Body Only)
- Canon EOS-1D X Mark II DSLR Camera Premium Kit with 64GB Card and Reader
- Canon EOS Rebel T6i DSLR Camera with 18-55mm Lens
- Canon EOS 70D DSLR Camera with 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 STM Lens
- Canon EOS 5D Mark III DSLR Camera and PIXMA PRO-100 Printer Kit
- Nikon D5 DSLR Camera (Body Only, Dual CF Slots)
- Canon EOS 5D Mark III DSLR Camera Body Basic Kit
You are sure to leave with some cool memories, a belly full from some awesome fried chicken at the Whistling Post Tavern, and a few outstanding photographs for your collection.